Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pantone 2014 Color of the Year: Radiant Orchid


Pantone has made its annual pronouncement for the 2014 Color of the Year. And the winner is...

Radiant Orchid



A hybrid purple-pink (which, in some color families, may also be known as fuchsia), this color is a bit hard to pin down. It may err on the side of either pink or purple, but it is really a vibrant mix of the two. And I do not own a single item in this color! It would seem Pantone is telling me this is an issue that needs correcting. So, in honor of the impending new year, I've put together an inspiration board of pieces that would be worth adding to my ensemble featuring this lovely color. It's interesting to note how the hues of the below products are named by their respective manufacturers... some creative color distinctions out there!


Clockwise from top left:

Leatherbound 2014 Planner by Gallery Leather (Honeysuckle)
I love notebooks and journals and all manner of writing materials. Even though I keep up with my calendar on my phone as well, I love having a hand-written planner to carry with me and make notations about day-to-day scheduling. This color would be perfect for my 2014 datebook!

Smith & Hawken Orchid Scent Candle 
I love lighting scented candles in the house for a bit of atmosphere, and this orchid scent would be the perfect way to introduce a lighter scent in anticipation of spring!

Nine West Vintage America Collection Nomad Large Satchel (Plum)
I'm a saddlebag kind of gal. I like to have enough room to fit everything I need, plus some extra. And now that I have baby paraphernalia to tote along as well, this purse is large enough to double as a diaper bag. And it's on sale!

Geometric Print Infinity Scarf (Pink)
A good scarf can really pull an outfit together. I love the rich color of this scarf, and the geometric metallic pattern is a fun addition. Pairing a single bright accessory with dark jeans and a plain neutral tee is a great way to make a simple outfit shine. Check out how Emma Roberts makes it work or like this.

Women's Italian Lambskin Lined Leather Gloves (Fuchsia)
Leather gloves lined with lambskin? Pure luxury! And these come in a variety of colors, including a shade of Radiant Orchid!

Essie 'Big Spender' Nail Color
I rarely have my fingernails painted, but I do love a pretty color on my toenails. This color from Essie will be fun for the gray months of winter and into early spring.

Mossimo Supply Co. Boyfriend Cardigan - Rose Bonnet 
A colored cardigan goes a long way toward freshening up classic wardrobe pieces. Pair this with a black or navy skirt, a pair of dark jeans or patterned pants -- the color speaks for itself! Leave it open for a casual look, or button and belt at the waist for something more pulled together. Love how it looks with this polka dot button-down!



Vince Camuto Suede Cynthea Pumps - Deep Fuschia
Last but not least, some stellar pumps! These would be a hot stand-out accessory for any outfit. I'm thinking these will fancy up dress I'm planning to wear to a wedding in January... and that price isn't bad either!

I've added all these pieces to a new board on Pinterest so I can keep track if this trend for 2014. Orchid is IN!

2 comments:

  1. Varied array of accents that help us feel *current* ~

    Hey! How about a orchid-colored yoga top?
    http://www.yogaoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=33526-0011&Click=2510029&subscribe=Y&gclid=CKfp5t_627sCFU5o7AodgwMAzw#color=14193

    ReplyDelete