Sunday, January 16, 2011

In the Kitchen

My New Year's resolution to be on-the-ball about meal planning and healthful cooking has been working out so far! Here was last week's "Meatless Monday" recipe...

This (90%) meatless soup was delicious, and made enough for dinner and 2 full lunches! 
















Cheese Tortellini & Tuscan Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
- 1 (14.5 oz) Can of Diced Tomatoes with Garlic & Onion (undrained)
- 1 (11.5 oz) Can Condensed Bean with Bacon Soup* (undiluted)
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 (16 ounce) Bag of Frozen Italian Style Veggies *
- 3/4 Teaspoon Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 (9 ounce) Package of Fresh Cheese Tortellini
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
I also tossed in a bunch of fresh spinach just before serving for some added greenery, and served the soup with spinach salad.

 Directions:
1.  Combine the first 6 ingredients in a 4 quart saucepan.  Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
2.  Add the tortellini, reduce heat to medium  Continue cooking for around 7 minutes or until pasta and veggies are tender.
3.  Stir in the grated cheese.
*Okay, so this makes the recipe not totally meatless.... but it's such a teeny amount, I'm pretending it doesn't count.

5 comments:

  1. Yummy looking! and I like how quickly this meal can be pulled together.

    What kind of dressing/topping is on that spinach salad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Patrick's favorite: a Ginger dressing by a brand called Makoto (http://makotodressing.com/makoto-salad-dressing-products.html). We find it at Dominick's, you might be able to find it at Publix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm I love all of this- I just filed away a tomato tortellini soup recipe to make soon. I definitely have the same new year's resolutions as you! And I really want to pick up a couple books like Nina Planck's Real Food of Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food- both of which I've skimmed but not read deeply. Hmm we should read something food-y together...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This DOES look delicious... but if I make it, I will have to triple the recipe for my family :) I love the new blog design too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KSJ ate two bowls of the broccoli/cheddar/turkey soup I served for dinner last evening. Bet yours was just that yummy!

    ReplyDelete